7 Reasons Israel is Wrong
Note to Readers: I wrote this as a political piece. It has nothing to do with the Jewish faith or ethnicity. I simply think the politics of Israel are wrong. This is an important distinction and I hope it is clearly understood.
The most recent round of Peace talks being held at the White House are currently dominating the headlines and a very somber tone is accompanying the talks. In recent memory all other attempts to bring the necessary parties successfully to some sort of peace have failed. In the western media this is more often than not explained away at the expense of the Palestinians and the people: men, women and children residing in horrific conditions in Gaza and the West Bank.
Just for the sake of conversation and rational transparent thought I thought the following list, and its contents, deserves some much-needed fresh air and the light of day.
- The indigenous people of the Land currently referred to as ”Israel” are in fact the Palestinians. After World War 1, The League of Nations gave Britain the “Mandate for Palestine” in which “the establishment in Palestine of a national home for the Jewish people” was included. An establishment of such a home was necessary because the land in fact, was not theirs. In November of 1947, the United Nations voted in favor of the “Partition of Palestine” proposing the development of three states: one Jewish, one Arab, and one U.N. administered Jerusalem. In 1948 Israel proclaimed itself an independent state resulting in the Israel-Arab war. Through all of this, the rightful owners of this land, the Palestinians were ignored and dominated by a constant foreign hand and their home was given away to a foreign group of people. It is popular to decry Americas treatment of “Native Americans” and rightly so. The situation in Israel is no different and equally as successful for the invaders.
- In 1967 while at war with virtually all its neighbors, Israel occupied Palestinian territories and it has maintained the occupation since. Israel forcibly occupied and has maintained this occupation in Gaza and the West Bank with an iron hand. Continued support, both financially and in the form of Military weapons, equipment and training coming directly, illegally and against the vast majority of popular American and international opinion, from Israels biggest partner in crime, The United States, have allowed Israel to gradually tighten its strangle hold on the occupied territories. Constant death and massive abuses by the occupying Israel force have drawn consistent international condemnation that falls largely on dumb/deaf ears both in Israel and in the West. The 33rd Article of the 4th Geneva convention expressly prohibits much of the behavior and its motivations being employed in the occupied territories, against civilians, by the brutal Israel “Security” force. The Article clearly states that ”No protected person (Palestinians in the occupied territory are protected persons) may be punished for an offense he or she has not personally committed. Collective penalties and likewise all measures of intimidation or of terrorism are prohibited. Reprisals against protected persons and their property are prohibited. Under the 1949 Geneva Conventions collective punishments are a war crime.” Again, these actions that have been taken and continue to be taken by Israel in the occupied territories are considered, internationally, to be nothing less than war crimes. A fact largely ignored in the US and Japan.
- Today, there are nearly 500,000 “settlers” living illegally in the West Bank and East Jerusalem. The U.S. has only occasionally and timidly objected. This irresoluteness, coupled with millions in tax-exempt funding, amounts to complicity in the 40-fold expansion of settlements since 1972. The population in the West bank of illegal settlers alone is over 300,000, up 50% since 2000. This is all actively promoted and supported by large subsidies offered to settlers from the Israeli government and tacitly supported by the US government, an example being its annual 3 billion dollar military aid flowing to Israel. A gift from often unaware and if informed unsupportive American Tax-payers. Again, facts often ignored in the Western press. Perhaps the close resemblance of our Middle Eastern compatriot to ourselves is undesirable to conventional media in the USA. God forbid the public be legitimately informed and properly angry at its elected officials deceit and war mongering support.
- Israel actively engages in Piracy. Article 3 of the Rome convention for the Suppression of Unlawful Acts against the Safety of Maritime Navigation states that it is an international crime to ”seize or exercise control over a ship by force, and also a crime to injure or kill any person in the process.” This is recognized and accepted internationally and has been the legal basis by which the US Navy has been deployed to assist in combating piracy off the coast of Somalia. It is clear then, that Israels attack on the “Freedom Flotilla” this year, an international aid flotilla of ships bearing much-needed international aid to the prisoners in Gaza, is nothing short of piracy. The ships were attacked 65 Kilometers from Israel territorial waters and the Israel commandos that stormed the vessel`s killed 19 people. Piracy. International outrage has been well publicized, yet nothing has come of it.
- Israel has Nuclear Weapons. Although the Israel government has never publicly acknowledged this, it is commonly known and in fact, documented. The existence of Israel’s bomb program was revealed in the London Times in 1986, based on information and photographs provided by whistle blower Mordechai Vanunu, who had worked at the Dimona facility in the Negev Desert for 9 years. Vanunu was kidnapped in Rome by Israeli agents, given a secret trial in Israel, then imprisoned for 18 years, 12 of them in solitary confinement. He remains in Israel, forbidden to talk to journalists, to travel abroad, or to emigrate. Israel has the technology and the means. It also has the tacit support of its Big Brother the USA in their shared and irresponsible “Don”t ask/Don”t tell” policy regarding the issue of Nuclear Weapons. Obviously, Israel possessing such capabilities, although no good to them in the occupied territories against the Palestinian freedom fighters, rabidly de-stabilizes the entire region and provides a clear motivation for neighboring powers to develop their own Nuclear arsenals or other Weapons of Mass Destruction be it Chemical, Biological or Nuclear.
- Israel consistently avoids options for a peaceful resolution to hostilities. In 2006 Israel Security forces kidnapped two Palestinian brothers and transported them to Israel where they remain incarcerated in the opaque Israel penile system. These men were civilians. These men had committed no crime, nothing they have yet to be charged with. In retaliation, Israel soldiers were taken prisoner by Hezbollah. The corresponding Israel assault on Lebanon was staggering. Within 6 days 196 non combatants were dead along with 14 militants according to a report by Reuters. Israel refused a cease-fire until its soldiers were released. Kidnapping civilians from their home, and capturing soldiers from an occupying force are two very different things and one is considerably more wrong than the other. The world media repeatedly and routinely commented about Israels right to “Self Defense”, the usual rhetoric, while the rights of Palestinian civilians in their home were flatly ignored. In 2009 again, due to ongoing vicious Israel assaults and hundreds of civilians dead, it took the death of two UN workers who were killed by Israel tank fire while trying to deliver aid to Gaza to get anyone’s attention. The UN resolution to stop the hostilities was ignored by the United States, hence more tacit support by the Big brother for its good little buddy Israel.
- Israel misuses, hence cheapens and erodes the Memory of the Holocaust. There is a very conscious manipulation of the Holocaust Memory by Israel to achieve its own often violent political aims. Anyone who confronts this sad intellectual fact is met with absolute condemnation and white-hot anger by intellectuals and high society that ferociously pander to even the most militant Zionist interests. Scroll through the writing of Wolf Blitzer, time and again he uses imagery from the Holocaust to cast Israel in the Victims light. Its sickening but it goes on. It cheapens the enormity of that event and its slanderous to its victims. Nachem Goldman, a rare honest shining light when he was alive said it well “it’s sacrilege to use the Holocaust as a justification for oppressing others.”